domingo, 22 de agosto de 2010

Wyclef Jean’s bid for Haiti presidency shut down

Rapper/singer Wyclef Jean cannot run as Haiti president since election officials in the country has disqualified his candidacy.  Jean, a Haitian citizen who had been residing in the United States since he was nine years old, has not met the five-year residency requirement to qualify for the post when he filed his certificate of candidacy in August 5, 2010.  His uncle, Raymond Joseph, who is Haiti’s ambassador to the United States was also disqualified.
 
The former Fugees band member expressed his disappointment stating, “Though I disagree with the ruling, I respectfully accept the committee's final decision, and I urge my supporters to do the same. I want to assure my countrymen that I will continue to work for Haiti's renewal; though the board has determined that I am not a resident of Haiti, home is where the heart is — and my heart has and will always be in Haiti."
 
Jean is actively involved in Haiti’s rehabilitation after an earthquake destroyed the country in January 2010.   A professor of political science at Rice University in Houston said that the 40-year-old entertainer could still influence the Haiti elections on November 28 by helping mobilize young voters.
 
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario